Hey Sec 4 pure chemistry troopers, this electrolysis quiz tests on concepts not answering techniques.
Try to answer these short questions in 30 mins. Go!
- When ions are discharged at the electrodes, they form _______ or _____________.
- Give two examples of strong electrolytes, weak electrolytes and non-electrolytes.
- Oxidation takes place at anode/cathode?
- Anode is connected to the positive/negative terminal of the battery.
- State 3 factors that determine the selective discharge of ions.
- Explain why the ions of metals lower in the reactivity series are preferentially discharged over those higher in the reactivity series.
- Does the selective discharge of ions depends more on the position in the reactivity or its concentration?
- State the products formed at the anode and cathode in the electrolysis of concentrated hydrochloric acid.
- State the difference in the observation of anode and cathode in the electrolysis of aqueous copper (II) sulfate using carbon electrodes and copper electrodes.
- Predict the products of electrolysis obtained at the anode and cathode of molten sodium hydride.
- Explain the changes in the colour of copper(II) sulfate solution and the changes in the pH when the electrolysis are conducted using
- carbon electrodes
- copper electrodes
- For electrolysis, the object to be coated is made the anode/cathode.